Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Wanna go camping....?

Have you ever been in a relationship where you feel like the other person is just an extension of yourself? Where you think so much alike it scares other people? Where you kinda take for granted that what you say and what you mean will be understood by the other person? And then some innocent conversation brings that crashing down around you and you suddenly realize that you don't know this person at all... They have the strangest thoughts and you have no clue what they are thinking... Welcome to my marriage.... I suggested that we should go camping the other day. Figured we'd run up and go tubing on the river or something. I suggested maybe bringing some folks along if they want to come... No big deal, right? I didn't think so.... (BTW- This will be the first time we've decided to go camping together) First off, let me describe what I meant when I said "let's go camping".... Friday evening after work, let's come home... throw the tent, some clothes, some blankets and pillows and an empty cooler in the car. We'll hit Wal-Mart on the way out and get food, drinks, charcoal and ice. Then we'll drive up to the general area and find a place to pitch a tent and we'll camp for the weekend.... Hopefully anybody who wants to tag along finds us, but if not... oh well..... Sounds like a plan, right? Oh wait... I married a woman. I'm so used to her thinking like me I forget that ya'll are a different species and you have very different ideas on how to do things... Plans. She and her friend have been making plans. I think we're up to 16 people or so that are going on this adventure. Yesterday, they were calling campsites and trying to make reservations. They are planning what we'll need, where we'll be, who may go up early and claim our campsite, checking what the river will be like when we go, figuring out all kinds of details that I never even would have thought about... Who knew there was so much involved with going camping? Of course, This isn't a bad thing... I'd probably take off and forget something. I'd probably spend a lot of extra time driving around trying to find a decent camp site... Balance is good. I tend to be really spontaneous and last minute about things like this. I tend to put everything off until it's time to go... She tends to plan things out and be prepared for anything... Between us, we make a great team. I love her to death. Either way... It's gonna be a great camping trip.

5 comments:

xtessa said...

ah... at least, stormii is into camping. just think if you married someone who abhors camping!

and you confirmed something i always believed... that a couple should complement each other, balance each other out.

Mitey Mite said...

My first priority would be to find a campsite with indoor plumbing!

Angie said...

Ha ha ha ha..that's NOT how it would have gone in my house. My husband would say, "Let's go camping this weekend." I would look at him like he just landed from Mars. He would say, "Oh yeah, how silly of me." That would be that. I DO NOT camp. Actually, he doesn't either. His idea of camping would be a FULLY equipped RV with TV, kitchen, bathroom, etc...parked outside.

Good for you guys, though, that you do complement each other. It's a great thing.
:)

Hope you have fun!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love camping!!
I actually camped on my honeymoon. I would rough it and enjoy it...for the adventure.

atpanda said...

I read that part about, "...oh wait, I married a woman...", and I bristled. But then I kept reading. That is exactly how it goes in our house! I am such an extreme over planner. :-) I hope your camping trip is awesome!

Michele sent me.