Wednesday, May 18, 2005

American Idol

Last night on American Idol, Clive Davis was the guest judge.... Each contestant got to sing three songs, one picked by Clive, one of their own and one picked by the judges.... Here's my take on how they did. Vonzell Solomon Clive Davis' pick: Dionne Warwick- I’ll Never Love This Way Again Vonzell got hit by Clive with her weakest point.... she can't sing a ballad to save her life. She was shaky, pitchy, and overall just didn't sound good on this one.... I thought it was her weakest performance in the competition. Vonzell's Pick: Aretha Franklin- Chain of Fools She made up for her first song here... This was Baby V's audition song, and I can see why she chose it. She nailed it... full of energy... sounded great. This was by far her best performance. Simon's Pick: Donna Summer- On the Radio I thought this one was better than her first song, but it was still pretty rough. I don't think we will be seeing Vonzell next week. Bo Bice Clive Davis' pick: Elton John- Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me Wow! Bo nailed it. My wife even commented that she'd like to have a copy of Bo doing that... Bo came out strong tonight. Bo's pick: In a Dream by Badlands (a capella) What? He's going to sing without the band? Woohooo... I think they should all have to do this at some point. Bo did a great job on this... I don't know the song, but this ballsy move he made may have just won him the entire competition. Best performance of the entire season. Paula Abdul's pick: I Can’t Get No Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones I wasn't thrilled with this, but I think it's because of my dislike of the Stones. Bo did a good job, and after three strong performances, it really was Bo's night last night. He should be the next American Idol. And Simon had the greatest comment of the night after this one... He said it was just a piece of fluff, like you (as he motioned to Paula). I had to rewind about 8 times and hear that again... I was rolling. Carrie Underwood Clive Davis' pick: Crying sung by Roy Orbison and k.d. lang Clive did not do Carrie any favors with this pick... That was awful. Better than Vonzell's first one, but still it was not good. Carrie's pick: Making Love Out of Nothing at All by Air Supply Ummmmm... Air Supply? What possessed carrie to choose this one? Wow.... But it looked like she impressed Clive with her pick... After all.. it was one he worked on. She did good and showed off the power she has behind her vocals. Randy's pick: Man! I Feel Like a Woman! by Shania Twain Strange arrangement on this by the band... She's definately not Shania... good performance... It was the most animated I think that Carrie has ever been. She should make it through to next week with this, but it wasn't great. Over all- it was the Bo Show. Bo showed what a great performer he is under pressure, and the other two showed they weren't ready for it yet. Paula even stated at one point that it would be a hard choice between the girl's, showing that it's her opinion that one of them will be leaving tonight. If I had to say, I think it will be Vonzell- Leading up to the Little Bit Country/Little bit Rock-n-Roll finale between Carrie and Bo. If Bo performs like he did last night next week, he should win this whole thing.

No comments: