Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Liftoff!

****Update - NASA scrubbed today's launch due to a faulty fuel-tank sensor. Today (hopefully), the space shuttle will fly again for the first time in 2 1/2 years! It's about time! Wooohoooo! Anyway, this morning I was listening to the radio and they were discussing the lack of interest people seem to have with the space program. Somebody called in with a great idea to raise interest.... Bring in Mark Burnett and make it into a reality show! I know the guy was joking around, but I can see this.... Take 30 hopeful astronauts and send them through a vigorous training program. We'd get the chance to get to know them all, and we could watch them compete through different training exercises. By the time they weeded the field down to the final seven, we'd have seven astronauts that the nation knew and had feelings for rather than the anonymous seven folks who they usually put up there. How many of the seven can you name now? How much do you know about them? Anything? Me either. And I live all of about 4 miles from NASA here in Houston.... I think this would do great things to promote space travel... NASA should seriously look into doing something like this... And besides... The advertising revenue would up their budget for future flights and research. What do you think? BTW- If you get a chance, go over and look at my friend Texas Ivy's new look for her page... I think it turned out great!

6 comments:

Kevin said...

I'll watch, but only if they make it Survivor: Discovery. Those voted off get blown out an airlock.

Melissa said...

I'm excited about the launch. We used to watch them in elementary school and it was such a big event!

Pirate Princess said...

That's so great! When we lived in the Houston area, we went to the Space Center often. Now that we've moved NW, we miss all that Houston had to offer. We even went to one of the launches... now we just make do with NASA on dish network. :0) Michele sent me.

Eunice said...

I'm not that old, but I do remember the days that watching the shuttle launch was a big deal, they'd, pre-empt all the TV shows, even let us watch it in school.

A few summers ago, I visited the Kennedy Space Center for the first time, and was reminded of the enthusiasm we used to have for our space program.

I wonder what happened to that excitement too.

Kevin, I like your idea for Survivor: Discovery. Kind of like survivor meets Aliens. :)

Kimberly said...

Great job over there Gup! Are you going into business now??

guppyman said...

I'll need a lot more practice before doing it for money... I'm having to dust off skills that I haven't used in over 5 years...

The amazing part is how much HTML info I retained. I figured i'd forget so much of it.

Thanks for the compliment though!